Sunday, January 11, 2015

Moments of Diamond or Zirconium?

I woke up to the sun shining through the window onto my face. After a stressful week, I have finally gotten a chance to relax.

When I finished my breakfast, feeding Jackie and showering, I began cleaning the apartment to prepare for my parent's arrival. First the dishes off the table, then vacuuming of the carpets and finally the wiping down the kitchen. Everything looked spick and span.

As the last pillow was being straightened, the doorbell rang. I scrambled to open it, fumbling with the lock. I opened the door to see my parents for the first time in 3 months!

I showed them around my apartment as well as told them about my hectic life in this newish town. After talking to them in my living room for several hours, we went down the street to the pancake house.

I felt like I was 5 again, going out to eat with my parents for fun.As I gave them a tour of the town, we passed by the bookstore. A weird man was looking out the window staring at us longingly.

 My mother, a book fanatic, wanted to rush in and discuss his writing with him. My dad and I, already knowing what was running through her mind, steered her away from the store and back towards the apartment.

As we walked by the fountain, we noticed a mom pulling her son out of the fountain. My parents and I begun to laugh, knowing that  I had pulled a similar stunt when I was younger as well.

As we were walking across the street, a large truck drove up and barely stopped a foot from us, lurching a bit too close for comfort.

After regaining our poise, we walked back onto the sidewalk and into the apartment. As we were opening the door, Magdalene Kitch came storming out, glaring at me as if I had just broken something important of hers.

After a snarky comment from my father under his breath, we went inside, up the backstairs, to my apartment door. We sat back down in the living room. My parents gave me this look as if I was my 10 year old self again and needed things explained to me as simplistically as possible.

 It was not like I was 24 and in medical school...They began by using the stereotypical phrase, "We need to tell you something". Well, this is great. Right after my life is becoming somewhat normal again, they are about to drop a bomb.

My father took in a deep breath and said, "you have a younger sibling".

After about a minute of silence, all I could ask was, "Where are they?"

At the same moment my dad opened his mouth to answer, we heard screaming coming from outside. Looking out the window we saw meteors crossing the sky.

We ran outside to get a better look. Standing in the middle of the street together, I knew my life was about to change again, but I knew, based on my progress of my independence so far, I could handle it.

After watching the meteor shower, we were all exhausted. We walked up the backstairs from wince we came. My parents walked into my room to go to sleep and I began to pull out the couch to sleep on.

As I did so, I noticed a newly strewn trail of golden glitter running throughout the apartment. I did not know where it was from, but I did know that this day had been filled with surprises.

It was a crazy and unexpected outcome for a day, but it contained many moments that would be savored forever, like little hidden jewels.

2 comments:

  1. I mentioned you in my blog entry! Apologies for how late it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went ahead and mentioned you (well, your dog really) in my blog. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete